Monday, May 24, 2010

Building Books, One Page At a Time

Elementary school students in Prince George's County, Maryland hold books that they created as part of  the county's Write-A-Book competition. Students competed with others in their grade level and genre (picture book, illustrated fiction, poetry, non-fiction) and each participant received a certificate and a medal.

I gave two presentations that day at their school in Bowie. I discussed the art of illustrating and writing children's books and demonstrated several paper decorating techniques used in the creation of my books. My captive audience of 2nd through 5th graders were especially attentive, given that they just recently participated in the competition and were eager to share their books with me. I was impressed by their discipline and the attention they paid to detail in their creations.